Sunday, January 6, 2019

2018: My Year in Books

It's time for my annual look back at the words that paraded in front of my eyes over the previous 12 months.

It was a good year for books, although as always I wish I could have spent a lot more time reading -- and especially more time reading in-depth novels and nonfiction books. Still, I did read 111 books last year, slightly higher 2017's total of 96.

I'm not going to try to pick my absolute favorite, but I will note some exceptional reads.

First was the excellent graphic novel UPGRADE SOUL by Ezra Clayton Daniels. It's a marvelous science fiction story about race and identify. Powerful doesn't even begin to describe it.

I loved the three-book graphic novel series ROYAL CITY, an inter-generational tragedy written and painted by Jeff Lemire. I have so much to say about this series, but adding anything more here would give too much away.

Lemire is also writing a new horror series called GIDEON FALLS, illustrated by Andrea Sorrentino. The first volume came out this year; it starts off slow but ultimately blew my mind.

EXIT STAGE LEFT: THE SNAGGLEPUSS CHRONICLES was the weirdest and most perfect book of the year. Writer Mark Russell and artist Mike Feehan turn the old Hanna-Barbera cartoon to an examination of the politics and culture of the 1950s -- and today. Highly, highly recommended.

I rounded out the year by reading a few nonfiction books about environmental issues. The one that resonated the most with me was ECODHARMA, David Loy's new look at how Buddhism can save the planet. This was an early review copy, and I think the book is officially released this coming week. I say it's worth your time.

On top of the "new books," five of 2018's books were re-reads as I returned to series that weren't fresh in my brain -- the excellent, paranoid, horrific INJECTION series by Warren Ellis, Declan Shalvey and Joride Bellaire; and the quite wonderful RESIDENT ALIEN cozy mystery series by Peter Hogan and Steve Parkhouse. Those series both get high recommendations.

There were plenty of other good books (and one or two stinkers) in 2019. You can see my full list here.

What's up for my reading in 2019? Well, I have a massive stack of environmental books to be read and reviewed, so that's a start. I'll also be trying to read more books by women and people of color through the year. And I'll probably read a graphic novel or two (or 20, or 50).

So what are you reading? I'd love to hear your recommendations at any time.


No comments:

Post a Comment